All the time Things happen to me and I think..owww this is noteworthy I should post about it on my blog but then either I cant remember later or As of late I have not been able to put finger to keyboard and write it all out. So this will be some recap. This weekend was a busy one for me. Starting on Friday when I went o dinner and a concert at tivoli ( famous amusement park in Copenhagen) with my host family and their friends. This whole experience was totally surreal because it was all 100% Danish. Everyone I was with was a dane and so most of the time they were even speaking Danish which to my ear sounds like nonsense. Although an effort was made to keep me in the conversation you can imagine in a group like that people just act in their normal habits so there were many moments where I was sitting in cloud my own thoughts surrounded by the most unfamiliar voices. I had a fun time feeling immersed but it was exhausting! I also witnessed some other funny Danish things like eating a hamburger with a fork and knife and having ordered one myself I did not want to be rude and shove this huge burger in my mouth American style so I conformed which was kind of funny. The concert was a pop/rock band called big fat snake and although all their songs are in English they would switch to Danish when they addressed the crowd which sounded funny to me. That day ended with me feeling like I had been on a caracul going around for hours.
Saturday was busy also. I went during the day to go shopping with an American friend and Danish girl and although it is fairly expensive to buy things here there still are stores that are cheep like the Swedish company h&m which we also have in the us so I did get a few basic things. I then went home to change and get ready for a night out. First on the agenda was dinner with 2 American friends. It was totally picturesque. We at outside seating on a pretty street with a very attractive Spanish waiter and music being played by street musicians, we were all eating it up(not just the scene but also the yummy food we ordered)! After dinner I proceeded to a friends apartment where a group was gathered including his Danish roommate and her friends. After having a nice time getting a sample of what danish sarcastic humor is like. Later we all walked to a party for university of Copenhagen students. Time flew and before I knew it I was going to the train station to catch the 2am train! The next one would not have left until three! The train is thankfully a very save and easy way to travel even so late at night there are plenty of passengers and no threat of robbery or anything scary.
Sunday I slept in a good deal and then had to get up to go to a picnic with my host family and all the other people in my program. It was a really beautiful day, maybe the last really warm day I will get here but it was great. To sit out in the sun and enjoy a good lunch and some scwepps lemon...a drink I wish they sold in the US! The rest of the day was spent doing homework and relaxing.
This week has been pretty uneventful just class and work and trying a new drink (chi latte) at a cool cafe where I like to go, i am sure there are other things but nothing is coming to mind. Tomorrow I leave for Sweden on a study tour with my class that will last until Saturday. We are going to gothenburg... A city Davis and I explored before school and I just found out we are staying at the same hostel where we stayed... I think I may have some Deja vu!
Great stories! Keep them coming. I would love to see you carving up your burger! You polite American girl, you!
ReplyDelete