Thursday, September 16, 2010

Swedish Adventures

Last thursday to saturday I was in sweden with my class. DIS knows students want to travel so they build in travel into the curriculum. This was the short study tour and in a few weeks I will be going to turkey with this same class on a long study tour which should be really exciting. We went to sweden because this class is about "migration and identity" and sweden and Denmark have vastly different policies on immigration so we are comparing the two. On the trip we mixed business with pleasure and had an all around great time. It was fun to get to know our classmate and professor. Some of our academic activities were lectures at a university in Malmo as well as Gothenburg (the third and second largest cities in sweden), a visit to the house of humanity and the museum of world culture. What turned out to be pretty funny about this trip is that we went to Gothenburg, a city Davis and I explored before DIS started and some of my experiences were the same. First we stayed in the same hostel then after a yummy dinner bought by DIS we went across the street for drinks at the bar in the restaurant where davis and I had dined. Talk about de ja vu! It was a pretty funny experience having DIS buy a round of drinks for the whole class and to essentially partying with your professor, this is not something I could see happening in the United states.


Restaurants that provide you with crayons are the best kind of restaurants.

We took a rainy boat tour in Gothenburg

The museum of world culture had this cool multicolored stacked people wall.






On saturday we drove south in our bus and stopped to have an exciting morning of kayaking and a boat ride. Her are a few picture of the day. It was beautiful when we stepped off the bus but then the clouds rolled in to become dark and windy. In the last photo my professor being a little goofy.



When we got back I spent the rest of the weekend being pretty mellow and this week I have been doing school and hunkering down in the less nice weather we are having now.

No comments:

Post a Comment