Sunday, September 26, 2010

fall has fallen

There are leaves on the ground here and some foliage changing colors and most of all we are loosing light fast! Although this gives me the urge to snuggle up and take naps all day I have been pretty busy lately and have a lot of fun stuff coming up soon. Also I would like to note that time is flying! i have been here over a month and I can not believe it I am worried I will blink and it will all already be over because I am having such a great time.
One of the highlights of my week was playing squash. With Brian's (the father in my host family) help I set up a squash match with a 20year old danish girl who played on the junior national team so I was pretty intimidated but she turned out to be really nice and although she was winning the games we played we were not too unevenly matched and had a nice time. I am hoping to play again with her sometime soon. Other then that in between going to classes I am normally wandering the streets, especially a popular walking street near school called Stroget (the et is silent when you say it... danish is impossible). I have checked out some cool thrift stores, found my favorite cafe and the best bakery. One fun fact is that the univeral sign for a bakery in denmark is a pretzel with a crown on top. here is an example...
Another fun bakery face is yes Denmark does have Very Delicious danishes but here they call them wienerbrød which means bread from vienna because thats where they are said to come from.
This weekend has been great, on friday I spent a bunch of time working on plans for the travel break we have in the beginning of november which was equal parts thrilling and stressful. At night my host family and I went to the Danish aquarium and science center because it was a special night and they stayed open late and were free. We had a ball looking at the pretty, gross, creepy and funny fish and then tried all of the cool interactive exhibits at the experimentium. We then came home and ate some ice cream topped with what I can oly describe as chocolate covered marshmallows, a delicious danish specialty. here are a few pictures from the night. Me in a bubble.Mikkel in a Bubble
Wind tunnel
sea turtle!



On saturday I got adventurous took a trip with my friend Becca out to Hillerød to see the castle there. I had to take the train and an hour bus to get there but I was very proud when I made it there and back with no navigation problems. The castle was so amazing, it was Huge and beautiful! Not to mention really old. the oldest parts of the castle were built in 1560 and most of the structure dates from 1602 to 1620. The town was also really nice with lots of shops. We took out own tour of the castle and were in awe of everything. You walk into a beautiful room with portraits all over the walls and ornate furniture and decorations and think its beautiful only to look up and see that the ceiling is like a piece of artwork with golden designs and full paintings. At one point we walked onto a balcony overlooking the courtyard to see a whole wedding coming out of the church, the happy couple posed for photos as we watched, it was like a fairytale. After seeing all of the inside of the castle we went outside to the gardens and the grey clouds that had been looming all day went away to make it totally picturesque and sunny. We walked around the garden then took a path around the lake that goes right up to the castle walls. To top off a great day I got a three scoop ice-cream cone that was Huge and Delicious! That night I went to a fun party at friends apartment that was about half americans and half danes. Today we celebrated Mikkel's birthday, which is tomorrow, by going out for brunch. Here are some pictures from the castle, I hope they do it justice.


There were real antlers in the walls

The fairytale wedding

This picture of the king was on the ceiling.

looks like a nice place to sleep

view of the garden from inside.


Looking towards the gardens

Becca and I using some perfectly pruned bushes for our self timer

The Castle... so pretty

icecream!


As much stuff as I have been doing now things are just getting started. Next saturday I am leaving to go to turkey for a week with my core class. I am so excited although I don't really know what to expect. Then in the beginning of november I will be spending a week in Chez Republic and then a week in Italy. I am excited for this travel but also continuing to enjoy this wonderful city!

1 comment:

  1. I love your photos, Clair! Good luck in Turkey. Keep the posts coming, they are so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete